Brief History of Maylands
Maylands is a suburb in the Perth Metropolitan Area of Western Australia. In 1896, the name “Maylands” first appeared on an advertising poster for a land auction in the area. The 525 acres of land was purchased by Gold Estates of Australia (an English company) and became known as the Maylands district.
The exact reason why the area was named Maylands is still something of a mystery. One theory is that Mephan Ferguson named the area, in honour of his aunt and daughter whom were both named May. Ferguson was the owner of the local foundry that produced the seamless pipes for C.Y. O’Connor’s Goldfields Water Supply Scheme.
Another is that Edgar. W. Hamer (Golds Estates of Australia) named it after he inspected land in the locality sometime in the month of May.
Things You May Not Know About Maylands
The Peninsula Hotel is one of Maylands best known landmarks, and is also centre of a great urban myth. Click on the link to find out more.
In 1830 Joseph Hardey becoming one of the first settlers in the area having been granted land on the eastern bank of Maylands Peninsula . After two of his houses were washed away because of the rising waters of the Swan River, Joseph Hardey built Tranby House which still stands today.
In 1898 Mephan Ferguson won the contract to build the water pipes for C.Y.O’Connor’s Goldfields Water Supply Scheme (goldfields pipeline). As a result he purchased land in Maylands and built the Ferguson Foundry (Falkirk).
The Duke of York (later King George V) visited the Falkirk Foundry in 1901 to view the pipe manufacturing process.
It seems the street names near where the Falkirk Foundry were greatly influenced by Mephan. Mephan and Ferguson Streets were named after himself, Falkirk Street after his hometown, Foundry Street after his business and Rowland Street after the Works Manager in Perth.
Between 1927-1936 the Maylands Brickworks had a capacity to produce up to 7 million bricks per year.
The Hoffman Kiln at the Maylands Brickworks is one of only two that still exist in Australia.
In 1948 Helen Keller (blind & deaf American author) visited the ‘Royal Institute for the Blind’ in Maylands and was shown a braille version of the plans for the proposed alterations and additions to the institute.
The Maylands Station was built as a result of the success of the Ferguson Foundry but was originally going to be called Falkirk Station after the “Falkirk Siding” situated near the foundry.
Lake Brearley and Lake Bungana were both named after aviation themes. Lake Brearley is named after Sir Norman Brearly who ran the first airline at the Maylands Aerodrome and Lake Bungana is named in honour of one of their planes.