In the early years Inglewood was part of the Maylands district. It wasn’t until the gold boom of the 1890’s that it came into its own when 525 acres was purchased by an English company (Gold Estates of Australia ltd). The company subdivided the section known as the Avenues, on either side of Beaufort Street. In 1895 Mr E.W. Hamer named a part of the subdivision “Inglewood Estate” , though it was often referred to as ‘Pommy Town’.
The origin of the name is uncertain but it is believed to be named after Inglewood, in California or more likely a Norwegian barque (ship) which berthed in Fremantle, in the 1890’s.
The greatest problem with the expansion of the area was transport. At the time of development, the Beaufort Street tramway ended at Walcott Street, in Mt Lawley . The only public transport in the area was Maylands Railway Station , a considerable distance from Inglewood. However with the development of the area the tramway extended into Inglewood and the area boomed.