Queens Gardens is located on the corner of Hay and Plain Streets, in East Perth . The site was originally used by the Swan River settlers for duck hunting and horse racing. That was until clay deposits, suitable for brick making. were discovered. By the mid 1800’s the clay was being mined and the brickworks were in full production.
Mr Henry Crane was the first person to make bricks on the land . He was the father-in-law of Harry Stitchborn, who was the curator of the East Perth Cemeteries from the 1850’s-1880’s. The early handmade bricks were called sand stocks because fine grains of sand had to be sprinkled inside the brick moulds to stop the bricks from sticking.
During the early 1870’s there were three brick yards operating on the site, they were owned and operated by Charles Howlett, Thomas Smith and James Brittain (1882-1897). The site became known as Brickfields Reserve. The bricks which were made from the reserve were used to construct several prominent buildings in Perth such as the Barrack’s Arch , Town Hall and St George’s Cathedral.
In the early days handmade brick making was a slow, old process (especially in winter). It was made even harder by the absence of drying sheds. During the rainy season work virtually came to a standstill.
At night the men had to stay up all night to keep the fires burning while the bricks were fired . In J.E. Hammond’s memoirs he recalls one of the clay holes being dug much deeper than the others in order to discard beer bottles discovered at the works. Drinking was strictly prohibited but employees often drank the ale late at night as they manned the fires. The workers often discarded the evidence at the bottom of this clay pit to avoid getting caught.
The swampy conditions and the dense thicket known as “woolly brush” created the perfect breeding grounds for mosquitoes. It became a constant nightmare for the brick makers who were forced to wear veils to protect themselves from the blood suckers.
The rushes around the swamps were also popular for candle making. The bark was stripped to the core and then the core was dried (by the fire) before being dipped in hot fat. Once the fat covered core was cooled off, it was dipped over and over again until it became thick enough to be a candle.
Around the 1890’s brick extraction became too difficult and the pits and kilns were abandoned. The City of Perth filled in the clay pits and fenced the area off.
Queens Gardens Development
In 1894 a decision was made to have the abandoned reserve developed into public gardens. The project was under the direction of Sydney gardener and landscaper Mr A.W.Farris and Perth’s head gardener John Braithwaite.
The brick kilns were removed and the clay pits were transformed into the beautiful ponds you see today.
The park was officially opened in October 1899 by the Lord Mayor Alexander Forrest in honour of Queen Victoria. Prior to that it was known as simply the East Perth Park. The park became the trendy place for Perth’s elite, who would often host afternoon tea parties by the lakes.
Today the gardens attract an abundance of bird life such as the Black Swans, Willy Wagtails and the occasional stork. Along with the bird life is a spectacular array of dragonflies that play amongst the water-lilies.
In 1927 the Peter Pan statue was presented to the children of Western Australia by the members and friends of the Rotary Club of Perth. The statue is a replica of Sir George Frampton’s famous Peter Pan statue which is located in London’s Kensington Gardens in England . It is one of only four made from the original mould.
Based on J.M. Barrie’s immortal character, Peter Pan, the base of the statue is signed by the author and not the sculptor, which probably seems apt, as the gardens seem like Never Never Land on the outer edge of the Central Business District of Perth.