Home / Architecture / Wellington Street Architecture

Wellington Street Architecture

Wellington Street,  is located in the Perth’s Central Business District. The street was named after the Duke of Wellington, who was the Lord of Treasury during the foundation of Perth. The Wellington Street architecture reflects the changing times of Perth.

No 167

 

No 169

Wellington Street Architecture, 169, Wellington Street, Perth, Western Australia

No 187 Perth Dental Hospital

Wellington Street Architecture, WA Country Health Service Building, Perth, Western Australia

The Perth Dental Hospital building was constructed in 1936 following a design competition. The architect for this Inter-War stripped classical style building was Reginald Summerhayes. He and G.A.Rowe won the comp held by the Royal Institute of the Architects of Western Australia.

Reginald Summerhayes wanted a simple layout that would eliminate any waste of space and make it convenient for both patients and staff. As a result he used a T type plan so that all the rooms would all receive direct lighting.

The crest on either side of the entrance includes a Latin Motto and a carving of Hygeia, one of the twin daughters of Aesculapius. Aesculapius being the son of Apollo and Hygeia one of his granddaughters. In Hygeia’s right hand she holds a torch, shining a light into the dark shadows. Underneath is the Latin motto ‘Patiuntur omnibus prosimus’ (To all who suffer, we render aid). There are a few art deco motifs incorporated into the facade.

The Dental hospital provided health care for the under privileged of the community including wards of the state, elderly, invalids, destitute, and inmates. At the time this was the only dental institute in WA providing dental care, training and research. Not short of patients to experiment on?

No 197 WA School of Nursing (Wason) Building

This is an example of brutal Architecture.

Royal Perth Hospital

Wellington Street Architecture, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia

The original Royal Perth Hospital was opened in 1855. It is still standing on the corner of Murray and Victoria Square. The current Royal Perth Hospital was built in two stages. The South block was originally planned to be built in 1939 but was abandoned due to World War II. It was eventually opened in 1949. The North Block was also plagued with delays. Despite being approved in 1972 by the State Government, the Commonwealth Government cut its funding in 1979. The North Block was left as a shell until 1988 when it was finally completed.

The first hospital in Perth was actually on Garden Island in 1829. This is the location where the first settlers disembarked from the Parmelia.

No 290 Red Cross Blood Donor Building

 

Red Cross Blood Donor Building, Wellington Street

Not a particular exciting building, the five storey centre was built between 1953-1954 and features aluminium glazed curtain walls with concrete frame and floors.

No 300 St John’s Ambulance Building

Wellington Street Architecture, St John's Ambulance, Perth, Western Australia

This Inter-war Art Deco building was constructed in 1940, as the headquarters for the St John Ambulance Association and Brigade. The three storey building was officially opened on 10 June 1940. On the 17th March, 2006, the building was reopened as the new 240 – bed Perth City Hostel (YHA) becoming the largest hostel in Perth.

Perth Railway Station

Wellington Street Architecture, Perth Railway Station, Perth, Western Australia

The Perth Railway Station was constructed between 1881-1897 as part the establishment of the Fremantle to Guildford railway line. The Station was designed by George Temple Poole, one of the colony’s most renowned architects. The foundation stone was laid in 1880 by Lady Robinson, wife of the Governor. The central section of the railway was completed in 1894, followed by the west wing in 1896 and finally the east wing, in 1897.

In those days the station was known as the Metropolitan Railway Station. In 1904 the Horseshoe bridge added the finishing touches to Poole’s design. A grander five storey design was planned but never eventuated. The building is constructed of red brick with stucco decoration. The railway station didn’t go completely without controversy. Built in the centre of an area that was planned as a boulevard that would extend from Forrest Place to Northbridge, many wanted the station demolished and sunk into a cutting.

Commercial Building

Wellington Street Architecture, Commercial Building, Perth, Western Australia

No 491-493 Levi Baird’s Building

Wellington Street Architecture, Levi Baird's Building, Perth, Western Australia

One of my favourite buildings in Perth, it always brings a smile to my face when I see it from the horseshoe Bridge, wedged between the old Globe Hotel and the modern commercial building, trying to shoulder for more room. The Federation Free Style building was constructed in 1921 and originally formed part of the Baird Arcade that went from Wellington to Murray Street. The building at 244-246 Murray Street became the main entrance for Bairds Arcade.

In 1906 a warehouse and shop front was built  for ironmonger Levi Green. Architect Richard Dennehy incorporated American architectural design. The ground floor had one large shop space while at the rear there was a warehouse. The Baird family who had hardware stores in the goldfields (Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie and Boulder) purchased the premises in 1919 and in 1921, redeveloped it into a shopping arcade and hardware premises.

Their hardware store became iconic and their catalogue became so famous it was known as the “farmers bible”.  Being a stone’s throw from the railway line made it all the more easier to send farming supplies.

During the hard time in Western Australia the Baird Company always looked after the community. During the Depression and World War II, they refused to sacking any staff and extended credit to many farmers in the State so they wouldn’t lose their farms.

Myers Emporium bought out the Bairds in 1969 and they occupied the building until the redevelopment of the the Old Boans Department Store in 1989. The building was closed due to safety concerns over asbestos but was renovated recently. It is now home to the WA State Heritage.

No 495-497 Globe Hotel

Wellington Street Architecture, Globe Hotel, Perth, Western Australia

The four storey Globe Hotel was built in , in Federation Free Style. Today it accommodates backpackers.

No 509-515 Wellington Buildings

Wellington Street Architecture, Wellington Buildings, Perth, Western Australia

The three storey Wellington Buildings (also known as Higham’s Building) are located on the corner of Wellington Street and William Street. I have been watching this building carefully during the State’s Government underground railway project, half expecting to see it disappear into a sink-hole or disintegrate due to all the underground commotion. Fortunately the building is still standing strong.

An interesting note ,this 250 tonne building is literally sitting on top of the railway station’s roof!. Built in 1910, in Neo Classical style by architect R.J Deunchy,it features battlement parapet, triangular pediment and prominent classical cornice.

No 531 Royal Hotel

Wellington Street Architecture, Royal Hotel, Perth, Western Australia

No 569  Westfarmer / Sargood Building

Wellington Street Architecture, Westfarmers Building Perth, Western Australia

Built in 1897, by architects Talbott and Hobbs, this Free Classical Style warehouse was originally built for Sargood Importers and Merchants. It has had quite a colourful history firstly it was to become the Westfarmers building and then later the home of Perth’s first radio station 6WF.

No 573 Wills House

Wellington Street Architecture, Wills House, Perth, Western Australia

A fine example of Inter-War Chicagoesque the Wills House was constructed in 1924.

No 577  Tranby Building

Wellington Street Architecture, Tranby Building, Perth, Western Australia

Located on the corner of Wellington Street and King Street the Tranby building was built in 1906, by architect Summerhayes. This two storey, Federation style building was once offices and warehouses for W.J.Cotton who was a produce merchant. It features rendered facade, quoining pediments and battlement parapets.

No 591-605 Railways Institute Building

Wellington Street Architecture, Railways Institute Building, Perth, Western Australia

Known today as the Department of Housing and Works, this building was originally the Railways Institute Building. Constructed in 1897 in Victorian Romanesque Revival style, it features arcaded red brickwork and stucco detailing. The building was designed by chief architect, Hilson Beasely.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

It is main inner container footer text