Murray Street Architecture
Murray Street was named in honour of Sir George Murray who was the secretary of State for the Colonies. Sir Murray was also the man responsible for the naming of the city. Murray requested to Captain James Stirling that the new town be named Perth, after his hometown in Scotland, which he represented in the House of Commons. The Murray Street Architecture starts at the Royal Perth Hospital Precinct with buildings dating from the late 1890s to the early 1900s.
Royal Perth Hospital Administration Building
The Royal Perth Administration Building was originally built as a Nurses’ Home in 1896. The four storey red brick and tile building was built in Federation Queen Anne Style. This impressive building features an elevated first floor entry and stepped stair & dormer windows.
Moreton Bay Fig Tree
The Moreton Bay Fig Tree is listed with the National Trust as a Tree of Significance . It was known in the early years as the “kissing tree”. Nurses from Royal Perth Hospital would often be seen kissing their sweethearts under the limbs of the tree before heading to their rooms at Kirkman House.
No 10 Kirkman House
Kirkman House was built in 1919 as a Nurses’ Home. The four storey brick and tile building also has a three storey south facing verandah and features a dormer windows and a decorative cupola. The Moreton Bay Fig Tree is also included in the heritage listing.
No 15 – 17 Perth Chest Clinic
The Perth Chest Clinic sits half hidden under the Moreton Bay Fig tree and was built in 1909 in Federation Free Classical Style. It is believed the building was once a hall and features classical facade with prominent pillars, arched openings and a parapet.
No 25 Fire Brigade # 1 Station
The Fire Brigade No 1 Station was designed by Cavanagh & Cavanagh and built between 1900 – 1914 in Federation Romanesque Style. The station replaced the Perth Volunteer Fire Brigade station which was located in the undercroft area of the Perth Town Hall. The two storey limestone and tile station features a facade with arches, turrets and recessed colonnades.
No 57 Chief Secretary & Public Health Dept
The two storey sandstone Chief Secretary/Public Health Department building was constructed in 1912 in Federation Free Classical Style. The entire facade was built from Donnybrook sandstone and features a central roofed gallery of rock faced stone with cut stone above and a balcony with an iron balustrade.
No 69 Salvation Army & Congress Hall
Formerly the Salvation Army Headquarters and Congress Hall was built in 1903 in Inter- war Georgian Revival style. The building was designed by the Melbourne’s Army architect Staff Captain Percival Dale.
No 70 – 74 Perth Government Stores
The Perth Government Stores was built in 1911 in Federation Free Classical Style. Built from Donnybrook sandstone and brick, the two storey warehouse building features two outer pier bays with pediments and a steel braced balustrade. The building has also been formerly known as Department of Mines; Murray House.
No 78 Government Printing Office
The former Government Printing Office was built between 1894 – 1922 in Federation Free Style. The design was by George Temple Poole, the Colonial Architect from 1891- 1896. The original building was completed in 1894 at a cost of 4,144 pounds, with additions made in 1907 to include a third level. The architect was Hillson Beasley who was chief architect of Perth Public Works Department. In 1922 a fourth storey was added by architect William Hardwick. The four storey corner building was constructed of load bearing brick and features projecting corner towers. Curtin University of Technology restored and refurbished the building in 2002 at a cost of $4.8 million. Over half the timber floor was replaced and the ripple tin ceilings restored.