King Street Architecture
King Street was named in honour of King William IV and was gazetted in 1845. Prior to the 1890’s the area around King Street consisted mainly of workers cottages, shops, coal yards and foundries.
The discovery of gold in the early 1890’s was a catalyst for development in Perth and especially in King Street. Some larger businesses began building offices and warehouses , which set the character for the area we have today.
The boom resulted in the expansion of commerce and trade which coincided with a period of economic depression in the Eastern States (especially Victoria). As a result there was a substantial increase in people coming into Western Australia seeking work. This mass migration saw businessmen, architects and builders flourish in this State, with many having a considerable influence on the development of the city.
Today, all of the warehouses have been turned into retail premises and apartment buildings. The area specialises mainly in designer fashion stores and trendy cafes & bars making it one of the most exclusive addresses in the City.
No 33 – 35, Calder & Co.
This two storey Federation building was built in 1912, for C.Darley. It’s features a bold arched facade (Mannerist Style), large semi circular window openings and rustication to street facade and is distinguished by towers and prominent classical cornice .
The architect was W.A. Nelson and the builder was F.J. Thomas. The warehouse was originally used by importers Couche, Calder & Co .
No 37 Halsey & Co
Built in Federation Free Classical in 1905 for N.S. Ward. The building was originally a factory & warehouse for Halsey & Co, boot manufacturers. The two storey building features ornate parapets, stucco facade and strongly modelled semi- circular openings. The ground floor has been remodelled. The architect was F.W.Upton and the builders were Huckle & Marshall.
No 39 – 41 Kelrod House
This Victorian Classical building, known as Kelrod House, was built in 1905 as a Printing Works for R.Sampson Printers. The architect was F.W. Upton and the builders were Huckle and Marshall. The building features decorative pediment and battlement parapet, prominent classical cornice and pilasters on the parapet and has large strongly modelled window openings. The message inscribed on the parapet ‘Sine Mora’ means ‘without delay’.
No 43 Cork Merchant
This narrow, three storey warehouse was originally built in 1903 but had a second storey added in 1920. The original owner was F.A.Henriques who was a local cork merchant.
The Classical Style warehouse once linked by a bridge that went from Munster Place to Munster House. The building features decorative parapet with the pilasters treated as piers. The architect was C.L. Oldham and the builder C. Mansfield.
No 40 – 44
This warehouse was built in 1904, for J.J.Green. The building features a formal Victorian Renaissance Style facade and precise detailing in the stucco facade. In the 1960’s, the facade was truncated at the laneway. Today the warehouse is now a popular cafe and eatery.
No 45 – 45a Shaw & Stow
This Federation Free Classical (Victorian Renaissance Style) warehouse built in 1903,was originally constructed for Shaw & Stow merchants. The owner was F. Mosey and the builder G.Liebe. The two storey building features decorative pediments and parapets, smooth render, and embellished with prominent cornices and rustication to pilasters. Note on the facade Norman.H.Taylor & Co.
No 48 Maddox & Lawrance
This warehouse was built in 1920, for P.Green and was originally the warehouse for Maddox & Lawrance, who were wholesalers. Built in Inter War Free Classical this asymmetrical building features simple parapet and segmented pediments, prominent cornice and pilasters. The architect was Oldham Boas and the builders were Hawkins & sons.
No 61 – 65 Leather & Saddle Merchant
The Fashion House was built in 1904 as a warehouse, for B. Rosenstamn, a local leather merchant and saddler. The three storey warehouse was built in Victorian Renaissance Style and the facade originally featured, banded brick and stucco. The building features decorative pediment & battlement parapet and large window openings of horizontal proportions. The builder was S.B. Alexander.
No 64 – 66 Leather Merchant
This warehouse which is located at 64-66 King Street, was built in 1897 for Reverend Thomas Bird. Early occupants of the warehouse were Knoll and Toleman and A.H. Kwong & Co (importers), B. Rosenstramm (leather merchant and saddler) and J.Colton (saddler).The building is features sculptured brickwork and rendered facade with a Victorian Renaissance Style parapet.
No 67 Dunlop Tyre Co.
This narrow three storey warehouses and offices were built for the Dunlop Tyre Company, in 1906. The builders were Parson & Son. The Victorian renaissance style building features decorative pediments & battlement parapets with smooth render for the street facade. The building is known as the Davis & Swan Warehouse.
No 69 Purser Building
This two storey Warehouse and Office building is located at 69 King Street and was built in 1905 for R. Purser, who was a local importer. The architect was P.W. Harrison and the builder G.Liebe. Built in a detailed Victorian Renaissance style the building features decorative pediments and parapets. The street level facade has been remodelled.
No 70 – 72 Austral Drug Co
This two storey warehouse was built in 1900 for H.S.Trigg & E. Emanual. The Austral Drug Co & Nicholson Co importers were the first occupants. The building is influenced by 19th century Modernism and originally featured strong brick and render facade. The builder was J.W. Sander.
No 73 Ezywalkin and Co.
This Edwardian Renaissance warehouse was built in 1905, for Graze and Crooks, who were boot manufacturers to Ezywalkin and Co.The architect was L.B. Lumpston and the builder L. Harrison.
No 74 – 76 Wenz & Co
This Federation Arts & Craft Warehouse was built for Wenz and Co. in 1929. It reflects the typical Public Works Department buildings of the 1920’s. The building features brick and rendered concrete facade. The architect was S. Rosenthal built the warehouse with an Art Deco influence. The builders were Torrerdell Bros.
No 75 Smithmore House
Built in 1921 for C.R. Crocker, this was designed by architect G. McMullen as an extension to 77 King Street and remains one of the few unpainted brick and stucco facades at first level.
This Warehouse was built in 1917 for J.D. Connolly. Built in a stripped down classical style by architect W. Mullen the building features detailed pediment and free parapet balustrades.
No 80 – 84 Wills Building Apartments
The Wills Building Apartments was once a 5 storey warehouse. The warehouse was converted into residential apartments in 2001.