Hay Street Architecture
Hay Street architecture in Perth, Western Australia, is a blend of old and new. Hay Street is the main shopping street in the city . Hay Street was originally named Howick Street but was renamed in honour of Robert William Hay, who was the Under Secretary for the Colonies in the 1830’s. The street was established, along with St George’s Terrace and Murray Street, as one of the main streets of Perth, from the time of settlement in 1829. During the 1970’s, a section of Hay Street was closed and that section became known as the Hay Street Mall.
942 Melbourne Hotel
The Melbourne Hotel is located on the corner of Hay and Milligan Streets. Built in 1896, in Federation Filigree style, the three storey hotel features a mixture of timber and iron decoration parapet with classical motifs.
The Melbourne Hotel is currently under redevelopment and will reopen as a seven storey, 73 room, 4.5 star hotel. While the facade and most of the original features will remain , some recent additions will be demolished to make way for a glass roofed conservatory.
929 The Read Buildings
The Read Buildings are located between 929- 941 Hay Street. The most interesting of these is the stunning two storey, Federation Free Classical style building. This heritage listed building was built in 1895 and features a brick facade, unpainted stucco decoration, arched windows, decorative pediment and colonnaded parapet.
Over the years the building has been home to a tailor (1908-1919), a wine saloon, a Tobacconist (Thomas Blakeley) , hairdressers, Prestcold refrigerators (1936-55).
915 The Dynon’s China Hall Building
The Dynon’s China Hall Building is located on 915 Hay Street. It was built in 1920 for John Dynon, an importer of China, glass and earthenware.
The facade is all that remains of the Dynon’s China Hall Building which was built in Inter- War Free Classical style. The two storey commercial building features battlement parapet and decorative pediments with the facade adorned with ‘Greek Style’ pilasters, rustication and prominent classical cornice.
The facade was refurbished in 2006 and is now part of the Stamford Hotel Development project.
914 The Mortlock Brothers Building
The Mortlock Brothers Building is located at 914 Hay Street. Established in 1896, the three storey commercial premises was built in Federation Free Classical style. It features rendered spandrell which emphasises the wall plane between storeys. The roof is concealed by a parapet and pediment.
The Mortlock’s were involved in setting up the annual Harley Scramble, an event that saw motorcyclists race up Buckland Hill at Mosman Park. A somewhat eccentric motorcycle clown was the Mortlock brother’s mild mannered salesman.
The building has had numerous tenants including , Grave and Dwyer Bulk Store (1919) , The Mortlock Brothers motor and cycle showroom (1925-49) and of course the well known 78 Records (now moved).
899-901 Bank of New South Wales
The former Bank of New South Wales is located at 899-901 in Hay Street. Built in 1935, this commercial building was designed by Architect William Arthur Nelson in the Inter-war Free Classical style.
If you look closely on the facade , you will see the year 1817, this was the the date the Bank of New South Wales was first established in Australia.
The bank branch has long gone but Canali, an Italian clothing company, now resides there.
886 Butterworth Buildings
The Butterworth Buildings are located at 886 Hay Street . The two storey symmetrical building was built in Inter-War Free Classical style. The building features a battlement parapet and decorative pediment. The facade features strongly modelled arched windows with fanlights and pilasters.
From what little information is around, the building was once the Baker & Carrick’s Motor Garage around 1912. Following was Llyod’s Ltd Oils and then in the 1930’s it was home to A.E.Craig Motor & Cycle repairs and Mortlock Brothers warehouse. In 1949 it was a radio manufacturing business.
838-842 Durham House
Durham House is located at 838-842 Hay Street . Durham House was built in 1916 by owner builder W. Leaster and design by architect W.A. Nelson. The building was extended in 1924. Federation Free Classical architectural style.
His Majesty’s Theatre
His Majesty’s Theatre is located on the corner of King and Hay Street in Perth and was built for Thomas G Molloy in 1902. Molloy was a Perth businessman (real estate) and one-time Lord Mayor of Perth.
The theatre was named after the reigning British monarch of the time, King Edward VII. Click for more information about His Majesty’s Theatre.
810-824 Harper ‘s Buildings
The Harper’s Buildings are located at 810-824 Hay Street. The Harper’s Buildings were constructed in 1937 and remain a fine example of Inter-war Functionalist & Art Deco architecture. The buildings were constructed by Nathaniel Harper who was a prominent mining entrepreneur in Western Australia. The building was designed by architect Edwin Summerhayes. The two storey buildings which included a warehouse were built from brick, concrete and iron.
The building housed the first branch of Yalumba Wines and had a tasting room in the basement. In 1977 a section of the warehouse was damaged by fire .
804-808 A.W.Dobbie & Co Building
The A.W.Dobbie & Co building is located at 804-808 Hay Street. The building was constructed in 1904 and was designed by architects Oldham & Fox.
The symmetrical building features a Venetian Gothic stucco facade adorned with pilasters (having decorative details), prominent pediment, battlement parapet and pointed arched windows with fanlights.