Beaufort Street, in the Perth Metropolitan area, was named in honour of Sir Francis Beaufort who was a map maker to the Admiralty, in 1929.
No 60 Curtin House
Curtin House was built in 1973. In the 1930s four small lots of land (which were part of the original Churchyard Estate) was sold to the Perth Trades Hall Association. The plots were between the Trades Hall and the Court Hotel. Several cottages and a shop were demolished in 1934 to make way for the three storey New Trades Hall. In 1948 the first floor was converted into union offices. In 1973 the New Trades Building was demolished to make way for Curtin House. In 1982 the State Superannuation Board purchased the building. The building became WA Police Headquarters for many years and now is home to the Sex Offender Management Squad.
No 74 Delaney Gallery
The Federation Romanesque style, Delaney Gallery, was the former Trades Hall Metropolitan District Council (MDC) building, built for the state executive of the Australian Labor Party. The hall was built in 1912 and was the first Trades Hall built in Perth and interestingly the first to be built without government assistance.
Art Gallery (former)
The Art Gallery (Beaufort Street Wing) was designed by Government architect Hillson Beasley and completed in 1908 as part of Perth Cultural Centre complex. It was carefully designed to blend in with style and look of the other two buildings, The Jubilee Building Wing (Designed in the Victorian Byzantine style by George Temple-Poole) and the Government Geology Building. It features a cement frieze which runs along the level of the main eaves. Inside a frieze of the Elgin Marbles (a plaster cast of the Parthenon’s friezes) runs around the walls of the first floor gallery.
No 84 United Friendly Societies Building
The United Friendly Societies building was built in 1900 as a pharmacy. In 1990 the Andonovski family purchased the building and opened the “Court Wine Bar”. The business operated until 2013. Today it is now a trendy bar called Dominion League ,named in honour a WA political party of the 1930s who lobbied for secession of Western Australia from the Commonwealth.
No 88 Ferguson Building
The Ferguson building was constructed in 1900 for the use as a commercial retail store. The building is an example of Federation Free Classical style. It is on the Heritage listing.
No 142-146 Metro Church
No 160 Protestant Hall
The former two-storey brick, stucco, and iron Protestant Hall was constructed in 1901. The hall was built in Federation Free Style. The building features a bas-relief of William of Orange and the date ‘1690’ in the front parapet of the facade. The hall was built for the Friendly Society, which provided medical services and health insurance.
No 151-165 Group of Shops
Built in 1903 during the State’s gold boom, these group of shops are a fine example of Federation Free Classical Style. The buildings feature distinctive angled walls and pressed iron ceilings. The shops were built as an investment property for Dr Daniel Kenny (chief medical examiner for AMP) by architect Charles Oldham and builder W.C. Burne. The building included residences located at the rear of the shops which had a wash house, bathroom and toilet. Over the years the buildings have been occupied by various occupants including drapers, chemists, doctors, a bank and for over 50 years a wine saloon.
No 191-193 Chinese Laundry & Dye Works
This two storey building was constructed in 1896 as a residential and commercial premises and was formerly the Manchester Dye Works and the Lung Cheong Laundry. The Federation Free Classical style building features tuck pointed brickwork and unpainted render.
In 1899 the building became a dye works and the’ Manchester Dye Works’ was added to the parapet. The dye works was one of only seven listed in the State. On the adjoining parapet bears the name ‘Lung Cheong Laundry’ which was operated by the Chinese around the same time as the Dye Works.
However in 1905, following the Factories Act, many of the Chinese Laundries ceased operation. Under section 46 of the Factories Act “No person of the Chinese or other Asiatic race shall be registered as the owner or occupier of a factory unless he satisfies the Minister that he carried on the business which he proposed to carry on in such factory before November 1, 1903.”
The Dye works and laundry both ceased operations prior to World War I. Following their departure the building had a variety of occupants which included a dressmaker, fruit seller and confectioner. In its later years the upstairs section became low-rent accommodation for residents in the inner city area.
No 225-227 Terrace Houses
This pair of attached terrace houses were built in 1896 ,in Federation Filigree Style and feature gabled pediments. The area was at one stage situated near Lake Thompson and was used for farming and market gardening. In the 1890’s, following the reclaiming of the lake, the owner Harry Anstey, subdivided the area. The area was popular for middle class housing. The first residents of the houses were architect Moss Cohen and accountant Mr Casper. Today the buildings are functioning as a youth hostel.
No 235 – 241 Terrace Houses
Fantastic examples of Federation Arts and Craft style, these four adjoining three storey houses were built in 1891. On the Monger Street corner there is a four storey square tower featuring three arched windows in each face. Tall chimneys separate the pairs of terraces. The building has the same verandah detailing as the 225-241 houses. The first tenants in the buildings were a police inspector, tent maker, basket maker and a surgeon. In the 1910’s one of the houses was occupied by Nurse Larkin, who was one of the first Silver Chain district nurses. By the early 1920’s the houses functioned as boarding houses. Today they are used for both commercial and residential purposes.