Brief History of MundaringMundaring is located 32 km east of Perth on the Great Eastern Highway, high on the Darling escarpment. The first European to
explore the area was nineteen year old Lieutenant Dale in 1829. It is believed Dale named the Helena River
after his sister Helen. Following his exploration of the river a section of land was granted to Government
Botanist James Drummond along the river in 1831. Drummond abandoned the property choosing rather to settle in
Toodyay . The first true settler of the area was Peter Gugeri who established a vineyard near
the Eastern Railway line in 1882. Mr Gueri was originally from England but spent a great deal of time in
Italy learning about the wine industry. He ventured to Australia in 1871 and eventually found
himself in Western Australia. He rented a vineyard along the Swan River and set up his own business as a wine and spirit merchant located in Hay Street (opposite the Town Hall). Mr Gugeri was indeed a busy man, becoming a Justice of the
Peace, one of the founders of the Perth Yacht club, a member of the Education Board and a Perth City
Councillor. The first Mundaring railway siding was named in his honour and the area became known as
Gueris.With in a few years, others began settling in the area. One person in particular had a great influence
on the area, M.H. Jacoby. Jacoby took over Gueris's vineyard in 1893 and eventually set up the "Mundaring
Vineyard Company". The name "Mundaring" (Mundahring) came form an Aboriginal camp located in the area and it
means " a high place on a high place".In 1894 the Gugeri siding was renamed "Mundaring" and when the new
station was built in 1898 it retained the name. The same year the townsite was officially declared
Mundaring.The area was renown for its orchards, vineyards and the C.Y.O'Connor's famous weir.
Interesting Facts About MundaringThe post code for Mundaring is 6073.
The Mundaring Weir Hotel is believed to be haunted by a ghost known as "Paddy". Paddy was rumoured
to have been killed whilst working on the CY O'Connor goldfield pipeline. The staff usually know when Paddy is around because beer glasses begin to
smash and/or electrical appliances go on by themselves. A female ghost has also been sighted in the new units
behind the hotel, but as of yet no one knows her name.
Important Links To Mundaring
Mundaring Visitor Centre