King Street ArchitectureKing Street was named in honour of King William IV and was gazetted
in 1845. Prior to the 1890's the area around King Street consisted mainly of workers cottages, shops, coal yards
and foundries and this is reflected in the King Street architecture. Click for more History of King Street.
No 33 - 35 Couche, Calder & Co.
This two storey Federation building was built in 1912, for C.Darley. It's features a bold arched
facade (Mannerist Style),large semi circular window openings and rustication to street facade and is distinguished
by towers and prominent classical cornice . The architect was W.A. Nelson and the builder was F.J. Thomas. The
warehouse was originally used by Couche, Calder & Co, who were importers.
No 37 Halsey & Co
Built in Federation Free Classical in 1905 for N.S. Ward. The building was originally a factory
& warehouse for Halsey & Co, boot manufacturers. The two storey building features ornate parapets, stucco
facade and strongly modelled semi- circular openings. The ground floor has been remodelled. The architect was
F.W.Upton and the builders were Huckle & Marshall.
No 39 - 41 Kelrod House
This Victorian Classical building, known as Kelrod House, was built in 1905 as a Printing Works for
R.Sampson Printers. The architect was F.W. Upton and the builders were Huckle and Marshall. The building features
decorative pediment and battlement parapet, prominent classical cornice and pilasters on the parapet and has large
strongly modelled window openings. The message inscribed on the parapet 'Sine Mora' means 'without delay'.
No 43 Cork Merchant
This narrow, three storey warehouse was originally built in 1903 but had a second storey added in
1920. The original owner was F.A.Henriques who was a local cork merchant. The Classical Style warehouse once linked
by a bridge that went from Munster Place to Munster House. The building features decorative parapet with the
pilasters treated as piers. The architect was C.L. Oldham and the builder C. Mansfield.
No 40 - 44
This warehouse was built in 1904, for J.J.Green. The building features a formal Victorian
Renaissance Style facade and precise detailing in the stucco facade. In the 1960's, the facade was truncated at the
laneway. Today the warehouse is now a popular cafe and eatery.
No 45 - 45a Shaw & Stow
This Federation Free Classical (Victorian Renaissance Style) warehouse built in 1903,was originally
constructed for Shaw & Stow merchants. The owner was F. Mosey and the builder G.Liebe. The two storey building
features decorative pediments and parapets, smooth render, and embellished with prominent cornices and rustication
to pilasters. Note on the facade Norman.H.Taylor & Co.
No 48 Maddox & Lawrance
This warehouse was built in 1920, for P.Green and was originally the warehouse for Maddox &
Lawrance, who were wholesalers. Built in Inter War Free Classical this asymmetrical building features simple
parapet and segmented pediments, prominent cornice and pilasters. The architect was Oldham Boas and the builders
were Hawkins & sons.
No 61 - 65 Leather & Saddle Merchant
The Fashion House was built in 1904 as a warehouse, for B. Rosenstamn, a local leather merchant and
saddler. The three storey warehouse was built in Victorian Renaissance Style and the facade originally featured,
banded brick and stucco. The building features decorative pediment & battlement parapet and large window
openings of horizontal proportions. The builder was S.B. Alexander.
No 64 - 66 Leather Merchant
This warehouse which is located at 64-66 King Street, was built in 1897 for Reverend Thomas Bird.
Early occupants of the warehouse were Knoll and Toleman and A.H. Kwong & Co (importers), B. Rosenstramm
(leather merchant and saddler) and J.Colton (saddler).The building is features sculptured brickwork and rendered
facade with a Victorian Renaissance Style parapet.
No 67 Dunlop Tyre Co.
This narrow three storey warehouses and offices were built for the Dunlop Tyre Company, in 1906.
The builders were Parson & Son. The Victorian renaissance style building features decorative pediments &
battlement parapets with smooth render for the street facade. The building is known as the Davis & Swan
No 69 Purser Building
This two storey Warehouse and Office building is located at 69 King Street and was built in 1905
for R. Purser, who was a local importer. The architect was P.W. Harrison and the builder G.Liebe. Built in a
detailed Victorian Renaissance style the building features decorative pediments and parapets. The street level
facade has been remodelled.
No 70 - 72 Austral Drug Co
This two storey warehouse was built in 1900 for H.S.Trigg & E. Emanual. The Austral Drug Co
& Nicholson Co importers were the first occupants. The building is influenced by 19th century Modernism and
originally featured strong brick and render facade. The builder was J.W. Sander.
No 73 Ezywalkin and Co.
This Edwardian Renaissance warehouse was built in 1905, for Graze and Crooks, who were boot
manufacturers to Ezywalkin and Co.The architect was L.B. Lumpston and the builder L. Harrison.
No 74 - 76 Wenz & Co
This Federation Arts & Craft Warehouse was built for Wenz and Co. in 1929. It reflects the
typical Public Works Department buildings of the 1920's. The building features brick and rendered concrete facade.
The architect was S. Rosenthal built the warehouse with an Art Deco influence. The builders were Torrerdell
No 75 Smithmore House
Built in 1921 for C.R. Crocker, this was designed by architect G. McMullen as an extension to 77
King Street and remains one of the few unpainted brick and stucco facades at first level.
This Warehouse was built in 1917 for J.D. Connolly. Built in a stripped down classical style by
architect W. Mullen the building features detailed pediment and free parapet balustrades.
No 80 - 84 Wills Building Apartments
The Wills Building Apartments was once a 5 storey warehouse. The warehouse was converted into
residential apartments in 2001.