History of King Street King Street was named in honour of King William IV and was gazetted in
1845. Prior to the 1890's the area around King Street consisted mainly of workers cottages, shops, coal yards
and foundries. The discovery of gold in the early 1890's was a catalyst for development in Perth and
especially in King Street. Some larger businesses began building offices and warehouses , which set the
character for the area we have today.
The boom resulted in the expansion of commerce and trade which coincided with a period of economic
depression in the Eastern States (especially Victoria). As a result there was a substantial increase in people
coming into Western Australia seeking work. This mass migration saw businessmen, architects and builders flourish
in this State, with many having a considerable influence on the development of the city.
Today, all of the warehouses have been turned into retail premises and apartment buildings. The
area specialises mainly in designer fashion stores and trendy cafes & bars making it one of the most exclusive
addresses in the City.
Click her to view the King Street Architecture.