Brief History Highgate or as it was once known 'Highgate Hill', is a small suburb of
Perth located with in the Town of Vincent. The suburb was named by an early land owner and
surveyor, Charles Crossland, in 1874 after his birthplace in London. The Highgate area was established in
1860 following the draining of principal lakes in the area between 1855 and 1883 and consisted of a small
isolated cluster of homes (mainly built for workmen). Land was purchased in 10 acre (4.05ha) lots and they
were under the control of the Perth Road Board District. Due to the inadequate funding of the Road Board many
of the roads and early infrastructure of the area were funded by the local citizens .The area expanded
rapidly in the early 1900's, following the completion of the tramline from Barrack Street Jetty to Mt Lawley.
Early HistoryWhen the Swan River colony was established in 1829 there was an estimated
3,000 Aboriginals living along both the Swan and Canning Rivers. These Aboriginals were known as the Bibbulman, Wadjuk (Whadjug) and
Nyungar (Noongar) people.The Wadjuk were people who belonged to the Whaddarn language group, the Bibbulman
people lived along the coast also known as Whaddarn-di-Bibbulman and the Nyungar occupied the south-west
corner . The groups were given local names for their geographical location and so the Perth groups were known
as Yabbaru or more correctly Yabbaru Bibbulman.
Interesting Facts About HighgateThe post code for Highgate is 6003.
The big tall Art Deco tower , which can seen from just about everywhere in the area, is a sewer
vent. The Lincoln Street sewer vent was a complete failure and became known as Dumas' Folly. During World
War II the Police Wireless Services used the tower to hide and camouflage the antennae of their wireless
The St Albans Church was consecrated in 1889 and was named after St Albans Cathedral in Highgate,
Things Are Looking Up in HighgateDuring the early 1900's the area in Highgate boomed not only
as a residential area but also for commercial and retail businesses. The boom was brought about mainly because of
the newly built tram line (1902) which ran from Barrack Street Jetty (Perth) along Beaufort Street and ending up at
the Walcott Street intersection in Mt Lawley . With Beaufort Street being the main thoroughfare it
seemed only natural for businesses to take advantage of this. Click here for more detailed information about the
architecture of Highgate.
Important Links To Highgate
Town of Vincent
Zoom In Map of Highgate