East Perth ArchitectureIt seems that East Perth was destined as an industrial area having
already established an abattoir, mill, foundry, timber yards, bottling works and small breweries by the late
1800's. By the early 1900's the East Perth Power & Gas Stations, railway yards and warehouses were all being
established. During the Inter-war period East Perth was seen as the industrial and manufacturing area of Perth.
Regarded somewhat as an industrial eyesore, it took nearly fifty years for people to stop snubbing it and begin to
see its full potential. Redevelopment in the 1990's saw the East Perth become the most sort after address in Perth.
Unlike many industrial areas where land is totally stripped, the developers have embraced the areas industrial past
and cleverly incorporated it into its landscape through redesign of building functions and urban art. Many of the
warehouses have been converted into trendy studio apartments and offices, whilst many of the urban art pieces have
incorporated objects found on industrial sites and buildings.
Boans Factory and Warehouse
The former Boans factory and warehouse was constructed c.1910 in Federation Style. Located on the
corner of Saunders and Glyde Streets, the factory was constructed of red brick, comprising of a two-storey
warehouse (warehouse A) and five single storey bays (Warehouse B). The Boans factory produced furniture which
included bedroom, dining and kitchen furniture. During the Inter-war period furniture was made locally and then
sold through the prominent Boans Department Store in Wellington Street (now Myers). Following World War II a bake
house and butchery moved into the factory. The late 1960's saw the decline of operations as cheaper furniture
became more readily available. By 1976 the factory had closed and moved to Cannington. An interesting note as told
by Edwin Benness(Chairman of Boans),in 1935, Boans purchased jarrah pilings from the old wharf at Fremantle and the
timber was used to make furniture. Today, the factory has been converted into apartments and offices.
Gas Sub Station
The Former No. 6 Electricity Substation is located on the corner of
Glyde and Brown Streets and was constructed in 1924. The station was one of a number of sub stations,
developed and owned by the City of Perth ,prior to the establishment of the State Energy Commission which took
over all power generation and transmission in the metropolitan area in 1946. The No 6 station was built in the
1920's to cope with the expansion of industry in the area. The station is built from red brick and fibro
cement with a corrugated fibro cement roof.
Old East Perth School