Beaufort Street ArchitectureBeaufort Street, in the Perth Metropolitan area, was named in
honour of Sir Francis Beaufort who was a map maker to the Admiralty, in 1929.
Curtin House - No 40
Delaney Gallery - No 74
The Federation Romanesque style, Delaney Gallery, was the former Trades Hall Metropolitan District
Council (MDC) building, built for the state executive of the Australian Labor Party. The hall was built in 1912 and
was the first Trades Hall built in Perth and interestingly the first to be built without government assistance.
Art Gallery (former)
The Art Gallery (Beaufort Street Wing) was designed by Government architect Hillson Beasley and
completed in 1908 as part of Perth Cultural Centre complex. It was carefully designed to blend in with style and
look of the other two buildings, The Jubilee Wing (Museum) and the Government Geology Building. It features a
cement frieze which runs along the level of the main eaves. Inside a frieze of the Elgin Marbles (a plaster cast of
the Parthenon's friezes) runs around the walls of the first floor gallery.
United Friendly Societies
Ferguson Building - No 88
The Ferguson building was constructed in 1900 for the use as a commercial retail store. The
building is an example of Federation Free Classical style.
Metro Church - No 142 - 146
Protestant Hall - No 160
The former two-storey brick, stucco, and iron Protestant Hall was constructed in ???? and built in
Federation Free Style. The building features a bas-relief of William of Orange and the date ‘1690’ in the front
parapet of the facade.
Group of Shops - No 151 - 165
Built in 1903 during the State's gold boom, these group of shops are a fine example of Federation
Free Classical Style. The buildings feature distinctive angled walls and pressed iron ceilings. The shops were
built as an investment property for Dr Daniel Kenny (chief medical examiner for AMP) by architect Charles Oldham
and builder W.C. Burne. The building included residences located at the rear of the shops which had a wash house,
bathroom and toilet. Over the years the buildings have been occupied by various occupants including drapers,
chemists, doctors, a bank and for over 50 years a wine saloon.
Chinese Laundry & Dye Works - No 191-193
This two storey building was constructed in 1896 as a residential and commercial premises and was
formerly the Manchester Dye Works and the Lung Cheong Laundry. The Federation Free Classical style building
features tuck pointed brickwork and unpainted render. In 1899 the building became a dye works and the' Manchester
Dye Works' was added to the parapet. The dye works was one of only seven listed in the State. On the adjoining
parapet bears the name 'Lung Cheong Laundry' which was operated by the Chinese around the same time as the Dye
Works. However in 1905, following the Factories Act, many of the Chinese Laundries ceased operation. The Dye works
and laundry both ceased operations prior to World War I. Following their departure the building had a variety of
occupants which included a dressmaker, fruit seller and confectioner. In its later years the upstairs section
became low-rent accommodation for residents in the inner city area.
Terrace Houses - No 225-227
This pair of attached terrace houses were built in 1896 ,in Federation Filigree Style and feature
gabled pediments. The area was at one stage situated near Lake Thompson and was used for farming and market
gardening. In the 1890's, following the reclaiming of the lake, the owner Harry Anstey, subdivided the area. The
area was popular for middle class housing. The first residents of the houses were architect Moss Cohen and
accountant Mr Casper. Today the buildings are functioning as a youth hostel.
Terrace Houses - No 235 - 241
Fantastic examples of Federation Arts and Craft style, these four adjoining three storey houses
were built in 1891. On the Monger Street corner there is a four storey square tower featuring three arched windows
in each face. Tall chimneys separate the pairs of terraces. The building has the same verandah detailing as the
225-241 houses. The first tenants in the buildings were a police inspector, tent maker, basket maker and a surgeon.
In the 1910's one of the houses was occupied by Nurse Larkin, who was one of the first Silver Chain district
nurses. By the early 1920's the houses functioned as boarding houses. Today they are used for both commercial and